Horizontal navigation

Friday 24 October 2014

The problem with perfection



When we want to make changes in our lives, the gap between where we are now and where we want to be can often feel overwhelming. Commonly, we go in with grand plans, give it a red-hot go for a few days, and then life takes over and all your best intentions have fallen by the wayside. I’ve done this time and time again – in the quest for perfection, I’ve gone in too strong, set unrealistic expectations of myself, and failed.

Earlier this week a bunch of lovely people came along to my first film screening, of Overfed and Undernourished. Many were well on the path of eating whole foods and ‘ticking the boxes’ of living well, so to speak. Others were just embarking on their journey of cutting out junk and overhauling their lifestyle and one lady during the Q & A asked,  “Where do I start?” To this person I say: begin with the end in mind, but be gentle on yourself.

It’s so easy to get caught up in what we all ‘should’ be doing, Marketing hype about the latest super food products, and how everyone should go Paleo (I kid!). What we often forget when we dive straight into these things, is how sustainable they are long-term, because that’s what really matters. Start with your pantry, fridge and freezer and clear out anything that no longer serves you in your commitment to getting and staying well. Focus on buying real, whole foods and keep it simple by trying one or two new recipes each week. Can’t muster the energy or time to make your own version of LCM bars for the kids this week? Check out some ideas on Wholefood Simply but if you don’t get to it until next week or the week after, that’s okay. Just set the intention and follow through. Change doesn’t have to happen all at once – and in fact I’d argue it’s more sustainable long-term if it doesn’t.

What matters is progress. If I’d waited until I had 15 minutes of quiet time to myself each day to do yoga, I’d never have a daily practice. And so often, it’s just five minutes,  often with a toddler mimicking my moves, or climbing all over me! The same can be said for this website - it needs a lot of work, but i'm not going to stop writing and sharing just because it doesn't look or function as well as i'd like it to. 

Do what you can, with what you have and be kind to yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment